There is often confusion about how The Wiriepro works in conjunction with an existing cell phone. The Wiriepro is an independent device (requires a SIM card) that connects to GSM cell networks and shares that connection via a local WiFi network. It has no reliance on your cell phone, nor the carrier you currently use with your cell phone. We will explain the various technologies involved and how they work together to provide your voice and data services via The Wiriepro or directly via your phone.
During our attendance at the Annapolis Boat Show, we received a number of questions regarding the use of a camera connected to the Wirie WiFi network in order to monitor activity on the boat from a remote location, like your home. There are a few issues that come into play when wanting to use a standard IP camera on your vessel, and being connected to a public WiFi or cellular data network. There are also some workarounds that I will describe below.
We have released a new firmware update for The WirieEx, V1.07. This update allows The WirieEx to extend the Guest Network or the Local Network for Wiriepro customers. It also allows The WirieEx to be daisy chained to one another to provide larger coverage areas.
- Firmware Update for Remote WiFi Network (The Wirie pro and Wirie AP+) May 11, 2017
- Firmware Update for The Wirie pro May 11, 2017
- Firmware Update for Remote WiFi Network (The Wirie pro and Wirie AP+) January 18, 2017
- IP (internet) Cameras on Boats October 24, 2016
- Firmware Update for The Wirie Ex V1.07 August 23, 2016
- Firmware Update for The Wirie pro August 10, 2016
- Firmware Update for The Wirie pro July 11, 2016
- Firmware Update for Remote WiFi Network (The Wirie pro and Wirie AP+) July 8, 2016
- Firmware Update for The Wirie pro June 16, 2016
- Firmware Update for The Wirie Ex V1.06 April 29, 2016
- What is a router for, and why I do I need one? April 6, 2016
- Voice and Data on Cellular Networks March 4, 2016
- Firmware Update for Wirie pro V1.30 March 2, 2016
- SIM Cards: What are they for? February 25, 2016
- Welcome to the new Wirie Blog! February 22, 2016